1 cup long-grain white rice
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
½ cup white or red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon salt-free Cajun seasoning
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups (12 ounces) diced leftover ham
½ pound cleaned (peeled and deveined) medium shrimp, tails on if desired
½ cup chopped fresh basil
1. Cook rice according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in large, deep skillet over medium heat.
3. Add bell peppers, onion and garlic and cook three minutes, until vegetables are soft.
4. Add Cajun seasoning, red pepper, salt and black pepper and stir to coat vegetables.
5. Add broth and ham and bring to a simmer.
6. Add shrimp and cook two minutes, till shrimp are opaque and cooked through.
7. Stir in rice and cook one minute to heat. Remove from heat and stir in basil.