Peas provide nutrients important for bone health. Almonds are low in cholesterol, helping to reduce the risk of heart disease.
1 to 1¼ cups sugar snap peas
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, cut into 1½-inch dices
Generous pinch of sugar
Salt and fresh-ground pepper
1 to 1¼ cups snow pea pods
1 cup frozen baby peas
2 tightly packed tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
½ cup salted whole almonds, chopped
1. String sugar snap peas with a small, blunt knife: Grasp the stem between thumb and blade, and pull down the length of pea pod. Rinse pods and dry.
2. Heat wok over high heat. Swirl oil around. Add onions, sugar, salt and pepper; toss over high heat for 1 minute.
3. Add sugar snaps and toss for 30 seconds.
4. Add in snow peas and cook for 30 more seconds.
5. Add frozen peas and stir-fry for 30 seconds, or till thawed.
6. Turn peas into a bowl and toss with mint and almonds.