Many of us face uncertain financial times in our lives—from an unpredictable economy to an ever-changing job market to all kinds of money matters.
Recently, my wife and I survived a financial scare. We endured a week of uncertainty before the situation was resolved. Things turned out just fine, but it was touch-and-go there for a while.
As things unfolded, my prayers progressed from panic (at first) to surrender (eventually). Maybe the prayers I prayed (in more or less the following order) will help you when you face uncertain circumstances, financial or otherwise:
1) “Oh God, come to my assistance; O Lord, make haste to help me” (from the liturgy of the hours).
2) “Be still my soul, the Lord is on your side” (from the hymn by Katharina Amalia Dorothea von Schlegel).
3) “Keep me in perfect peace. Keep my mind on You. Help me to trust in You” (based on Isaiah 26:3).
4) “Lord, I’m in Your hands” (drawn from Psalm 31:5).
5) “We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on You” (2 Chronicles 20:12, NIV).
6) “Our help is in the name of the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth” (Psalm 124:8, NIV).
7) “May it be to me as You say” (based on Mary’s prayer in Luke 1:38).
8) “Not my will, but Yours be done” (based on the prayer of Jesus in Matthew 26:39).
9) “Your grace is sufficient for me, for Your power is made perfect in weakness” (based on 2 Corinthians 12:9).
10) “May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us—yes, establish the work of our hands” (Psalm 90:17, NIV).