Life throws so many decisions at us, and with the pandemic, we’re even faced with some we’ve never made before. Do I keep my kids in school? Is it safe to travel? Can I safely socially distance at an upcoming event? Can I plan anything more than 24 hours in advance?
All these decisions can be overwhelming and stressful, even making us feel inadequate at a time when we need calm and confidence.
But the Bible says, “If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and He will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking” (James 1:5, NLT). So, here are nine Bible prayers for wisdom—whether you’re worried about social distancing boundaries, a financial matter, a job change, a relationship or a business move:
1) Lord, Your Word says that “the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding” (Proverbs 2:6 NIV). You know my need for wisdom, knowledge and understanding straight from You. Please meet my need.
2) Father, I want to do as Your Word says: “Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone” (Colossians 4:5-6 NIV). I know I don’t have to have all the answers, but I do want to be wise and full of grace in all I do and all I say. Help me and guide me, please.
3) God, as Your Word says, “Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues” (Proverbs 17:28 NIV). Help me to know who to listen to, what to ignore and when to hold my tongue.
4) Lord God, I want to be among those who “know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Colossians 2:2-3, NIV). Draw me closer and closer to You, through Christ Jesus, and reveal to me, in me and through me those treasures of wisdom and knowledge, that I may walk in wisdom and not stumble in every decision I face.
5) As the Bible says, Lord, “the one who gets wisdom loves life; the one who cherishes understanding will soon prosper” (Proverbs 19:8 NIV). Please shower wisdom and understanding on me in every decision I face.
6) God, since the Bible says, “To the person who pleases Him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness” (Ecclesiastes 2:26 NIV), let me please You today and every day, and supply the wisdom, knowledge and happiness I seek.
7) Father, according to Your Word, the Bible, “the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere” (James 3:17 NIV). In every decision I face, let my choices reflect that heavenly wisdom; in every path I must choose, show me those that will produce pure, peace-loving, considerate and submissive results, “full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.”
8) Heavenly Father, I know that “Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end” (Proverbs 29:11 NIV). Grant me the wisdom to see which decisions of mine will bring calm in my life and the lives of others.
9) God, I do believe the Bible when it says, “Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding” (Proverbs 3:13 NIV). Let my life—and especially the choices I make today—reflect Your wisdom and bring about the blessing of which Your Word speaks.
Next time you are facing yet another stressful decision, I hope one of these prayers will bring you guidance and comfort.